Barry G.
Barry G., Handyman
Experience:  I have done many jobs in the home. From installing ceiling fans to garbage disposals. I know a little about a lot.
11179659

hllo, i need a civil Engineer in the Centurion area, to assist

Customer Question

hllo, i need a civil Engineer in the Centurion area, to assist signing of a roof, and provide a sertificate.

hester pretorius XXXXXXXXXX
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Hester!

Generally a civil engineer is not involved in signing off a roof, thats a structural engineers issues unless the water shed and drainage is involved.

Let me know more about that, and what state or nation you are in...and a bit more about the overall scope of the project... is this a home, or a large commercial land development.

We can go from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hallo, We busy buiding a flat in the back of our premises, which interlink with the main dwelling. The inspector at the minisipality said that we need to get a engineer out to sign of on the roof as its a tile roof structure to certified that the construction is in order. I assume it will be a structual engineer. I am in the Centurion Pretoria area.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

A structural engineer will cost you a small fortune. The inspector told you to call one because that is his only legal option.

General contractors have other ways of getting around hiring a structural engineer for each project...

My assumption so far is that there are problems with your roof support design. If you can send me 5 or 6 pictures of the structure of the roof and the rest of it, I will have a better of what you have and will be able to offer you the most appropriate advice.

Use the paper clip icon in this dialog box or post the pictures to www.flickr.com and send me the URL address to them.

Your problem in these regards XXXXX XXXXX most general contractors will not want to get involved with a home owner built project if it has problems... my attempt will be to show you the easiest way to proceed.

Phil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you have a email adress for me, i tried to attached yesterday dakdakdak

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Thanks for the pictures, they are very good.

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES OF WORKABLE TRUSSES

There is a problem with nailing the vertical members to the *sides of the other members, you are relying on the strength of the nails that way, thats not sufficient in most cases. Notice in the top left picture, it looks like your truss..but its not. Those members are butted together, not nailed to the sides of the stringers and rafters.

I think that can be fixed, but it will take a structural engineer to do it unfortunately.

You can get some good advice from the following truss manufacturers also, they will probably come out and look at the job free of charge.

5 Spanner Rd, Olifantsfontein 1666, South Africa ‎
+27 11(NNN) NNN-NNNN ‎ · maxco.co.za
Graham Rd, Pretoria 0040, South Africa ‎
+27 12(NNN) NNN-NNNN ‎ · lcproofing.co.za
85 Landmarks Ave, Kosmosdal, Samrand 0057, South Africa ‎
+27 84(NNN) NNN-NNNN ‎ · redginger.co.za

I would also stop by the lumber yards and ask them to recommend a local structural engineer or general contractor who will be able to come out and look at the job and advise you. Its going to be expensive.

Let me know what they tell you, and how much money the structural engineer wants for doing the engineering, and what they say can be done to make your trusses workable.

We can go from there.

Phil