Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience

hi, My husband is replacing the back splash in our bathroom.

hi, My husband is replacing the back splash in our bathroom. We have changed the old tile 1979 and put up more modern tile large squares. The tile we put up has light browns and dark browns and a little gray. The mirror that was up had a border the same color as the woodwork (cherry). I would like to paint or stain the new mirror frame gray to bring out the gray in the tile is it going to look out of place if I do that? Or do I just stain the mirror frame a little lighter in color? Please help
Welcome to Just Answer!

Use the paper clip icon to post a close up of the frame and several pics of the frame and new tile area... tell me how accurate the color is in the photo's.

Or... post the pics to and send me the URL address to the photo's.

And I need to know what the mirror frame is made of.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

old tilenewtilenewframe pine woodbathroom molding cherry stain

Hello again, thanks for the pictures.

I see what you mean... the dark stain on the existing frame and wood work contrasts too violently with the wall finish and the new tile (nice tile job by the ways)..

Painting the frames or other wood work however will cheapen the look. If you want to do this so it looks real good, strip the finish completely off of any existing wood trim or frame you want to change the color of... then use Minwax brand 'white oak' stain over the wood.

If you can find 'DADS' brand paint stripper it will less toxic than the other brands and will work a lot faster as well.

Be sure you sand it down to the original wood first... and practice on the back side of the frame first until you get the look you want.

Stay in touch as needed, as long as you rate my ongoing advice *positively I do not let the question close, I will hold it open for you.