Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.

Good morning,I have a craftsman belt sander

Good morning, I have a craftsman belt sander 6" x 48", 9" disc and I need to remove the aluminum disc because I accidentally bent it. I'm trying to pull it off using M6 screws but it won't come off, it moved about 1/8" outward but that's about it. Is there something I should be doing differently? Is there a set screw holding it? I can't seem to figure out how to get the plastic guard off to see if there is a set screw or not. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.
There is a set screw about dead center. That would be 4 1/2 inches . Allen typeIt is attached to a round piece that probably moved up the shaft. It must have moved on the shaft when you tried the wheel puller method .
Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/craftsman-351217570-disc-sander-parts-c-158286_162684_162782.html

Try this web address
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I tried the suggested solution but I still cannot remove the aluminum disc from my bench sander so I replied back to the expert letting him know that this doesn't seem to be working. I'm not a mechanic but I am an electrical engineer and I do almost all of my own work so I feel pretty qualified in some ways. But still I'm starting to think that this may not work for me.

Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.
Did the drawing match your sander?
Were you able to remove the set screw.
If your answer is yes then the wheel under the disc
while not damaged could have become stuck
when it was pulled forward the 1/8 inch.
I would put a drop of machine oil on the shaft and then try to return the
Disc to its former position .
This action could loosen the disc .
Another option after doing the above is to hear the disc with a hair dryer,
Not a torch or heat gun. Try to remove the disc while it is hot.
Wear gloves and get it as hot as the hair dryer will get it.
Hope this works. Let me know ill stick with you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I think the screw that I need to loosen is item #2 on the "motor and disc" drawing. But I can't get at it because it is beneath the plastic housing. I can't remove the housing without first removing the aluminum disc (the disc is what I wanted to remove in the first place). There is a square hole in the top of the plastic housing that is probably there to access the screw but I can't see in there. So I don't know what to use (Phillips, Allen, or even what size to use) and I can't see how to align with the screw.

Regarding the previous work that I did: I lubricated the shaft and gently tapped it back into its original position. I saw the set screw that you mentioned that is 4 1/2" inward and loosened it but I don't really see what that does as far as removing the aluminum disc.

I do think if I can loosen that item #2 I should be able to remove the aluminum disc but I don't understand how to do that.

Thanks again,

Joe

Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.
Item 2 looks like a captured nut that item 33 screws into.This would most likely be a Allen fitting. Experiment with different sizes. The hole appears slopppy because its not perfectly lined up but the Allen should be centered in the hole . When you have the right wrench will feel it firmly fit into the Allen screw. You have to work blind of course.Don't give you up Joe ! I'm still available.David
Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.

10 mm hex head bolt item 33

10 mm hex nut item 2

Just checking did you remove the set screw on the back of the aluminum disc?

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/490905/Craftsman-351-217570.html?page=15#manual

I'm looking at this site now

Joe here are the sizes of the bolt and nut

Machinc, General Contractor
Experience: Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi David,

I finally got the plate off. I laid it on my steel table saw top and I can see that it is definitely bent. Thank you very much for the help. As it turns out, there is actually two set screws that were holding the aluminum disc. The Craftsman 'Motor and Disc' drawing only shows one. But I was able to use the magnifier/light application that I have on my i-phone and was able to look into the hole and see the Allen set screws. I appreciate the good service that you provided.

Best Regards,

Joe

Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.
Joe I'm so glad you were successful in removing that disc ! Good job !!