Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Building a roof deck on top of my roof with with a level hatch

Building a roof deck on top of my roof with with a level hatch and wondering if I should have the hatch stick up above the roof or just have the hatch flush with the roof so that you step down onto the stairs from the deck instead of stepping over the hatch threshold. Any ideas as to pros and cons of these options?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

You need a curb that extends above the roof level or water will run right into your hatch every time it rains. If you make you deck high enough it could be flush with the top of the hatch

Customer:

the deck will be 12 inches above the roof. wondering whether there are other issues that need to be considered such as safety

Rick :

If you frame the deck and the hatch properly then you shouldn't have any safety problems

Customer:

Ok thanks Rick. Very helpful

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/