Brian
Brian , Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Im trying to build a small free standing landing and stairs

I'm trying to build a small free standing landing and stairs outside of my back door. The deck size is 3' x 5' with a 36" height. The local deck code calls for a 6"x6" support post on a 16" footer. This seems excessive for such a small deck. Can I use an 8" diameter footing with 4"x4" support post?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

It sounds like the local codes are wanting 6x6 with a 16" footer for large decks and it would be overkill for a stair and landing. You can definitely use 4x4 posts and an 8" footer for the size stair and landing that you are building.