Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I found a glass with mold in it i went to wash it and it started

I found a glass with mold in it i went to wash it and it started to smoke??
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

The "smoke" is the mold spores being released into the air. If they land on moisture and a food source (such as dirt) they will reproduce where they land and form new mold. I would suggest cleaning the glass outdoors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dumped immediately down the toilet and threw away the glass...I was just scared that it was poisonous

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
That's good. It can effect some people especially if they are allergic to it, but if you haven't had any reactions then you are most likely good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was over an hour ago .....my roommate has a friends over and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hurt anyone!! Have you experienced this before?

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes, I have seen it many times. I wouldn't be concerned since the glass can only hold a small amount of the spores. They have diluted themselves in the air by now and everyone will be fine. If you had an entire basement full of this mold, it could be unhealthy, over a period of time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you i can now relax!!! So nothing to worry about...right?
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome and yes you have nothing to worry about....mold spores are always present in the air and only a few are dangerous at large quantities. Have a great night!
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Anything else I can help you with? If not, please rate my answer at your convenience. Thanks!