Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I recently remodeled my house. I had someone take care of it,

I recently remodeled my house. I had someone take care of it, since I felt quite ignorant in regards XXXXX XXXXX massive project I had in mind. I had granite tops installed in my new custom cabinetry, and I was looking at the receipts I was given by this person and this is what it had 2 items listed. 1 is the granite, the second is ogee 3cm linear inches. I googled this and I'm not sure if this is like a trim option or what.
So first question is what is the ogee?

Also in the island, it's all one height, and the side that sticks out like a foot, has no supports directly on it. I've seen other places where their islands have either columns supporting the granite. I'm concerned that the granite could break easily.
second question is, are supports needed for granite?

Also, the installation of the sink was done by the experts, and its and under mount sink (?) but there's like a gap between the granite and the sink. is this normal?

thank you!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

An ogee is a molded edge profile. The granite fabricator or your contractor should (have) showed you a sample of the profile so you know what the edge of your countertop will look like

Rick :

A 1' unsupported overhang is the max and depending on the type of granite might need to be supported with brackets at least

Rick :

There should be no gap between the sink and the underside of the countertop

Rick :

if the sink edge is curved there may appear to be a gap when the sink actually meets the counter top further back from the sink opening in the top

Customer:

I googled the word ogee and my granite is definitely not in that trim

Rick :

So the question is, do you like the edge you have. It sounds like the top has been installed

Customer:

so you believe that there should be some kind of bracket on the spot with no support? the granite is 3cm, i do not know what it means but this is what it shows on my invoice

Customer:

yes it has been installed and it looks good. the problem is, I feel like the person that was in charge or supervising the remodeling has added expenses so that he makes more out of me.

Rick :

That's typical thickness for most tops. If the granite has a lot of veins which can be weak points then it probably should have support brackets

Customer:

Lowe's did the installation of the sink, and it's got a leak. Also, the faucet itself moves. it's very loose

Rick :

Sounds like Lowes needs to get their guy back to fix this. Sink and faucet

Customer:

the kind I have it's called brown persa. it has many golden colors and coppers throughout. it had some rough surfaces too which i did not expect. so I do feel like this is breakable

Customer:

so when someone purchases granite, does this not include the trim in the price?

Rick :

The cost for an ogee edge is similar to most fancy edges. If you want brackets then insist on them. You should be able to get brackets to match your cabinets if that's the type you want

Rick :

Fancy edge treatments cost more than a plain edge

Customer:

so if my granite is just plain straight, with just a cm of curve at the top, does this make it the plain edge?

Customer:

the granite that goes around the wall, is that an extra cost?

Rick :

That sounds like a simple round over which should be as much as $5 a linear foot (of edge) less than an ogee edge. The around the wall should have been included in the original quote unless you made a change later

Customer:

the person that took care of the remodeling told me that we had purchased the slab of granite, so that at no extra cost they would add the base around the wall. this did not happened. he came back and said that it would be extra. I'm asking all these questions because I don't want to make a fool of myself when I go to lowe's to demand what I feel I paid for.

Rick :

Did you get a written contract with all this spelled out?

Customer:

all I have at hand is receipts from Lowe's and quotes. which this person added up to say how much I owe him still. I've spent over $65,000 in the kitchen alone and I have no clue how it came out to be so much

Rick :

You would be in a stronger position if you has all this in writing but that doesn't mean you can't demand what you were promised

Customer:

on another subject, we had our washer and dryer moved about 5 feet across from their original location, now the entire lower floor stinks. if anyone is using the washer, the smell is even worse. what is causing this?

Rick :

Sounds like possibly the new washer drain is not vented properly. This too should be corrected by the contractor

Customer:

in order for this to be fixed, will the contractor need to break tile and such?

Rick :

There's no way I can know from here. But it should be fixed at no charge to you

Customer:

I understand. I was just curious if that would be a possibility. do you have knowledge on air conditioning?

Rick :

AC is a different category. You'll have to post another question under HVAC

Customer:

I'm sorry I'm asking all sorts of questions. We had a major renovation and everything isn't what it should be. I'm very disapoointed

Customer:

ok I believe these are all my questions for you! thank you for your time

Rick :

You're welcome!

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/

Rick, General Contractor