Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Hi I am in the process of adding 1 x 6 cedar to my sofit

Hi I am in the process of adding 1 x 6 cedar to my sofit over my wrap aropund deck. The cedar has yet to be cut and I would like to get a crude blueprint for the construction. I can take many photos but I am not sure how much help I can get, or should I contact the local municipal building inspector? Thx Harvey

p.s. I am ahead of myself- I will take the photos and attach? somehow with the rough dimensions of the wrap around deck if that is OK to wait until tomorrow for details- otherwise just cancel!

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
Even if it turns out you don't need an inspection it never hurts and is always a good idea to check with your local building inspector before proceeding with any construction on your home .
Just measure the area you are covering with the cedar and cut the pieces to fit. If they are going to be painted you can make sure they fit and then paint them before you nail them up .
If you are leaving the soffit open as in craftsman style. You don't have to worry about vents. If you are closing in the ends of the rafters ( boxing it in) then you will need vents in the soffit . You can find the code for size and spacing on line. Or check back with me.
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience: Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how it's going .
Machinc