Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction
26609390

How do you attach a poured in place concrete wall to an exisiting

Customer Question

How do you attach a poured in place concrete wall to an exisiting concrete wall
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Charles :

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Charles :

How tall is the existing wall and is there a roof or ceiling over the existing wall??

Charles :

Hi

Charles :

you seem to have gone offline

Charles :

hello again

Customer:

The new wall is eight feet high by eight inches thick/ there is a stud framed wall on top of the existing concrete wall

Charles :

How tall is the existing concrete wall?

Customer:

eight feet tall

Charles :

thanks

Charles :

is the existing wall also 8" thick?

Customer:

I think it is only 6 inches

Charles :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the existing concrete have another concrete wall directly behind it. So if you were to drill a hole 3" from the corner it would go into the adjoining wall?

Customer:

The existing wall is the south wall of a basement

Charles :

Thanks.

Charles :

I would use a masonry drill bit to drill into the wall you want to tie into. I would drill 1 hole 1/2" diameter 3inches deep into the existing wall. Space them 12" apart. If the existing wall is below grade make sure not to crack the wall or you will have moisture issues.

Charles :

After you drill the holes, blow them out with compressed air. Then use a bottle brush to clean out the holes then blow them out again.

Charles :

You want no dust left in the holes. Then use Epoxy to set J-bolt anchors into the existing wall so that the J is sticking out

Charles :

This way when you pour the new concrete they will hold tight

Charles :

You can buy the brush in the same place that sells the epoxy and bolts

Customer:

How will I maintain my 8" spacing?

Charles :

When you use those forms, they will normally have spacers available at the same place you get the forms

Customer:

Are you referring to snap ties?

Charles :

yes.

Charles :

What part are you concerned about the spacing?

Charles :

the top sides or bottom

Customer:

Could I use rebar bent into "L" shapes instead of the bolts?

Charles :

yes but be sure they are very clean so the epoxy sticks

Charles :

I would wire brush and degrease it if you use rebar. At least the expoxied side

Charles :

The bolts would be better though

Charles :

better shear strength

Customer:

I have a 6" existing wall and I am wanting to pour an 8" wall right next to it. So I am using the existing wall as one side of the formed wall, and actual concrete forms for the other side of the formed wall. I wonder about just bending the snap tie and redheading them int o the existing wall

Customer:

and then using wdgebolts for the concrete form side

Charles :

If you don't mind putting holes in the existing concrete that's ok. I would use 4x4s and 2x4s to brace the form myself

Charles :

If one of your bolts fails your out of luck and have a huge mess on your hands

Customer:

OK Charles thank you for your help

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: 20+ years in most phases of construction