Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

Rick, thanks for the 411 on the ceiling repair. Attached is

Rick, thanks for the 411 on the ceiling repair. Attached is a pic of one of 6 columns on our front porch. We want to encase them in vinyl (unless you have a better solution) because the wood is rotting and we don't want to replace with wood again. Looking for a ballpark price to do this repair.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

I don't see an attachment

Rick :

You can post a pic here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box

Rick :

I'm taking a break now. I'll be back in a couple hours (or less). I'll respond when I get back

Full Size Image

Rick :

You have 2 options. You can buy similar prefab fiberglass columns or you can wrap a pressure treated 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 with PVC trim boards (PVC boards are not structural) and finish it with PVC moldings. Either way your ballpark cost is ~$500 per column installed.

Rick :

You can't "encase them in vinyl" except that the second option above is essentially that. PVC is a form of vinyl but the boards are too thick to just cover what you have and there are structural issues as well given that you see deterioration in the exisiting wood