Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

what is the best method and supplies when buffing between coats

what is the best method and supplies when buffing between coats of polyurethane applied to recently sanded hardwood floors?
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

The first coat raises the grain so you need to sand lightly with 150 grit sand paper. If you have a lot of floor to do the best equipment to use is a large format random orbit sander. They typically have a 2' square pad and can be rented but their availability can be limited. If you only have one room to do you can use a hand held random orbit sander but this is a bit tougher on the back. The second coat can be recoated without sanding if you do it soon enough and follow the finish manufacturer's recommendations. If you let the 2nd coat dry enough then a scuffing is in order with 220 grit. Same with the 3rd coat. The scuff for the final coat is best accomplished with 00 steel wool. Of course you need to be fastidious about dust removal between coats