Jason
Jason, Electrician
Experience:  I do all of the remodeling projects on my own home. Experienced in all facets of Home Improvement.
9920183

Damp smell in basement

Damp smell in basement

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

There are a few easy steps you can take, which should help tremendously in getting rid of the odor:

Jason :

The most important step is probably placing a dehumidifier in the affected area. That will help with any residual moisture that may be hanging around.

Jason :

Some people have reported success with using vinegar to eradicate the unpleasant odor.

Jason :

I don't know if your walls are made of a material that you wouldn't want to spray vinegar on, but I have seen that suggested. Others have set out pans of vinegar.

Jason :

Lastly, if you can get air circulating in that area, this too will greatly aid in eradicating the smell.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We still smell the must old house smell in the basement.

Our basement walls are made up of concrete blocks. There is a old well water tank and a little bit of old insulation. Do you think any of this is also holding the smell? What about the rafters? They probably are also holding the smell. Can were spray these wood beams with vinegar too? Do we just use a spray bottle? Or is there a comercial item we can use to cover large spaces? How much vinegar do we use? There is no water in the basement now, but the smell is still there.

Please advise

Good morning. Thank you for the followup. I need to leave for church soon, but I would like to assist you further with removing the odor ASAP. Can I get back with you in the early afternoon today? I may contact people I know who have had the problem in the past, and find out what they did about it. I'm not sure I have time to give it the attention it deserves before I have to leave for church.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please help me afterwards. I wouldn't want you getting late for church. Do you live in the East Coast?

I live in North Central Indiana. We are on Eastern time though.

Here's a product you may find helpful...

http://www.damprid.com/odor-eliminator

Here's a step that may aid in removing the smell...

http://www.ask.com/question/how-do-i-get-rid-of-a-damp-smell

I wouldn't dilute any vinegar you plan to use, since WATER is the problem to begin with.

As for eliminating odor in a basement of concrete blocks, I have firsthand experience with that. There are very good oil based paints available for sealing the pores of concrete block. When I used it, it worked great. Keep in mind that the odor from the off gassing of that particular paint is very very strong. We had to take frequent breaks when using it.

If you would like me to do so, I will try to find a link to the paint I used. It worked great in stopping moisture from entering the basement through the porous blocks.

It took me a couple of minutes to remember the name of the product, but here it is...

http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/floorAndExteriorPaints/e1.php

This stuff is great. It solved my moisture problem hands down.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you