Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Hello - I have a dryer vent problem. I have a fairly tight

Hello - I have a dryer vent problem. I have a fairly tight dryer vent space on a vertically stacked dryer. I've bought one of those vent pieces, kind of a manifold looking piece and use the worm clamp to secure both ends as instructed. But these 4" vent pipe connector pieces are a little loosey goosey, if I can use a technical term. This is in an apartment and I get called every 4-6 weeks because the vent pipe disconnects. I thought maybe the dryer vibrates or moves too much, so I stuck some big sponges beteween the walls and the dryer on both sides to act as shock absorber...better, but I still get calls. I am pulling my hair out with this thing. Any suggestions??

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

Where is it coming un-done? at the back of the machine?

Customer:

Hi - yes, and you know if push a little too hard on the machine side if comes off the wall side.

Rick :

You can try making a few slits in the female connection in the same direction as the connection. This will allow the fitting to compress more

Rick :

Also if you don't have a clamp that has a hex end to tighten you might want to swao that out too. You can get it a lot tighter with a hex

Customer:

I tried the slit thing...and opened up that up, but the fit was still loose. Good point on the hex nut.

Rick :

On other thing you might try

Rick :

If you have room behind the machine I'd try 2 4" elbows with an aluminum flex in between. This will give you more room to work and get the connections real tight then push the machine back into place. If you're using what I think you are you probably have very little wiggle room

Customer:

Ok, we'll give that a try...thanks!