Phil
Phil , Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

I have a double-brick retaining wall (120cm high), cement-rendered

I have a double-brick retaining wall (120cm high), cement-rendered and painted about 10 years ago. It supports a garden. About 4 years ago I re-painted. It now has a lot of bubbling, which didn't happen till about 2 yrs ago.
I've started scraping off the bubbling but am losing some cement as well, so I guess I should try a powered sander. The bunnings guy recommends an oil-based sealer-binder to apply before I repaint. Any tips ?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!

.The problem is caused by water seeping through the cement wall... Am oil based sealer- biinder will help to some degree, and is not a bad idea, but it will not stop the problem entirely or for very long, It iis worth a try.

Watering the garden a bit less and not so deep will help the most.

You can use a powered disc sander to good effect.

If you can let the garden dry out quite a bit, for a few weeks or longer, and in hot weather, before you apply the sealer -binder, the sealer binder will work a lot better over the long term.

Let me know if you need any further input, if you choose to rate my answer *positively I will hold the question open for any follow up you might need later.

Thanks!

Phil