Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I bought an old ,but new in box craftsman garage door opener.

I bought an old ,but new in box craftsman garage door opener. Everything works fine, but remote will only work when I hold it up close to the opener. I have put new batteries in it , but it didn't help. What can I do?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 11 months ago.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem with the opener.

Try unplugging the motor unit for a few minutes and then plug back in for a reset. Then try erasing all codes and then reprogramming the remotes, per the owners manual. If this does not help, proceed with the following:

The things that would effect the range of the remote are the antenna or logic board. I would verify that the antenna is hanging straight down. Also verify that the antenna is secured to the logic board. If all of that seems good, you may still have a bad/ burnt solder connection on the board or the board may have a solder defect at the antenna. This would require a new logic board....and unfortunately they cost around $70 (average).

In addition, remote range problems have become increasingly difficult to troubleshoot and can take some process of elimination. More recently, several things can affect the range of your remote controls, including cell towers, satellite dishes, and any wireless devices in the house. If you can think of any wireless device that you may have recently installed just before this started happening....you may try unplugging that item to see if it helps.

Another thing to try is plugging the garage door opener into a different circuit by means of an extension cord....see if anything changes.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP