Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am rehabbing a house which will become a rental. I have

I am rehabbing a house which will become a rental. I have several interior, luan doors that I would like to clean-up. They are 40 years old and have a darker brown stain/coating. I will be installing two new luan doors for closets. What products can I use to clean-up the existing doors, stain/coat the two new doors and have the doors look pretty consistent in color?

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

There really isn't a cost effective product to clean up the old doors. You could use Formby's furniture re-finisher but it's kind of pricey for this application. I'd just wash the old doors with TSP if they're grimy then sand lightly and give them a coat of polyurethane. Matching the new doors will be trial and error. Get a small piece of luan plywood then do some test strips with various stains (Minwax is a good option) and poly to see what will match most closely. Or you can use Minwax Polyshades which is a one step stain and finish product.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick, I applied the methods you suggested and used Minwax with stain. Just didn't like the results. If I were to paint the doors, what products and steps would I need to apply to ensure the paint doesn't peel? Thanks for your most expert advice. :-)

Just sand the doors lightly, enough to knock off any gloss from the poly then paint with any latex paint. You shouldn't need primer since the doors are already sealed with poly.