Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Had a concreate porch put it. When it rained, the water leaked

Customer Question

Had a concreate porch put it. When it rained, the water leaked from the porch into the basement. especially around the drain pipe, but also in other places. The contractor came back and put some sort of caulking around the edges, but it is crackiing and I am sure it will not stop the water. I have recently been told that a plastic sheeting should have been used that comes up a few inches on the wall around the porch. Is this true? What do I need to have done to stop any water from leaking down from my front porch to the basement and stairwell underneath the porch?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is Rick and I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

Yes, a waterproof membrane should be installed where the porch meets the house before the porch deck is installed. The only thing you can do now is to caulk the gap and keep re-caulking when you notice the caulking start to fail. I'd use urethane caulk since it will bond better to the concrete and the wood. Be sure your surfaces are clean before you re-caulk