Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
63990871

I need help with a household hint regarding odors. We share

I need help with a household hint regarding odors. We share a house with my daughter and her family and our living space is separated by a door. They have a dog who has a very unpleasant odor that permeates the house, bothering my husband more than me. Despite the fact the dog is never in our portion of the house, his odor seems to be detected through the HVAC vents. Is there some sort of charcoal filter or other hint you might have for me to make a difference. My husband also cannot tolerate strong odors like disinfectants, sprays, room deodorizes, etc. Vinegar in a bowl works but is vulnerable to spills. Thanks for your help.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dovetail Greene replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon.

My name's Kel.

The least expensive approach I can think of is having the dog stay in one room and closing off the return air register so the smell from the dog doesn't get pulled into the ventilation air stream.

You could also weatherstrip the door that connects the spaces. That would include the perimeter of the frame and the gap between the floor and the bottom of the door.

If the house has carpets have them steam cleaned with NO chemicals.

Same for any upholstery.

A more expensive solution is to add an electrostatic scrubber to the furnace. This will remove particles that the smell binds to. Google HVAC contractors for your area. Get estimates from three.

What other questions do you have about the problem?

Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer