Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer

We want to add a 2 to 4 by 20 cantilevered areas running

Customer Question

We want to add a 2 to 4' by 20' cantilevered areas running down both sides of the house to expand living area. It is a one floor cottage with block foundation. the joists run front to back not side by side. The one side would expand the living room, bathroom(tub) and dining area of kitchen and cabinet, stove and frig. Just trying to get an idea beforehand if possible and affordable. This will have it's own eyebrow type of roof so will not be carrying the roof weight.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dovetail Greene replied 7 months ago.

Hello.

My name's Kel.

That's an awful lot of work.

Thing in terms of a 2' cantilever.

beyond that it all has to be engineered and would require much more expensive manufactured products to carry the loads.

The 2' cantilever could use sawn joists like 2x10 to extend.

The edge of the floors will need to betaken apart. Ductwork, piping and cabling will have to be relocated. Exterior walls will need to be removed. Outlets extended. Radiators or registers and returns will have to be relocated.

Unless there's a compelling reason for this approach

I'd redefine the function of the existing spaces and do an addition or add a story.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

At this time the entire place needs to be gutted. All sheetrock/plaster flooring and sub-flooring along with roof, electric, heat and plumbing.

OK.

Good knowledge to add.

That makes it more feasible.

Before you buy you may want to hire a design-build remodeling contractor to prepare a rough estimate to build your concept. Don't hire an architect or engineer or contractor.

Expect to pay 900 - 1500$.

I'm guessing there must be something compelling about the neighborhood or location or commute time. I take it even with all the work and added expense this's still the best home for you. . .

What other questions do you have about you project?

Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Price and location yes--thnx

Just off the top of my head I'm coming up with 25K for your modification. That's to extend the floor structure, new walls and roof. This doesn't include finishes. Just structure.

Does the project still make sense?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Yes because we would do most of it--we also have friends that are in varying stages of construction. My dad was an electrician so I've picked up the how to on that. Sin because my brothers didn't want to learn and when I was a kid women were teachers, nurses and moms. :)

I would have loved to have been an electrican :)

Well.

Now that you've given me a better sense of your project

I can see how you'll make it work.

The hardest part architecturally is to make the new roof line work.

So to circle back to your original question --

it is possible and affordable for you to do this project.