Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

We are renovating our bathroom, the bathroom is on the second

Customer Question

We are renovating our bathroom, the bathroom is on the second floor, below the attic. I have the gyproc ceiling removed and I can see the insulation thru the plastic vapor barrier. We are using green board in all the bathroom ceiling and walls where the old gyproc was removed. Should I put NEW layer of vapor barrier over the old one?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is Rick and I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

If the vapor barrier is intact you don't need another one

Rick :

If it has a lot of holes in it then a new one over it is a good idea

Customer :

Ok , I have had to staple here and there as when I took off the ceiling gyproc the ceiling sagged, and we are changing the location of the pot light housing. We are putting in a newer style of housing

Customer :

ok , we gyproc removed also in the interior walls, is it advisable to put insualtion onthe interior walls?

Rick :

no need for insulation on interior walls, it's not a very good sound barrier and it have no heating/cooling efficiency benefits

Rick :

sorry for the typo> it HAS no benefits

Customer :

ok , thanks , I will have a licensed electrician in to install the new pot housings, I am going to get the blue vapour barrier from home depot for around the new pots housings, I have seen conflicting info , about putting insulation in the blue vapour box next to the pot housing . some say put the insulation , others say no do not stuff the blue vapour box with insulation!

Rick :

Ask your electrician about the type of can he's using. What we classify as IC (in contact with insulation) cans here in the States would be ok surrounded by insulation

Rick :

I wouldn't fill the box with insulation but I would be sure insulation is heaped over the top of it so the insulation coverage for the ceiling is uniform

Customer :

I agree with you, the housing does say IC , but it just does not make sense logically to stuff insulation around the housing. And yes that is a great idea to heap the insulation on the top of the vapor barrier box.

Customer :

I want to return to the insulation in the interior walls. is there anything we can use to dampen the sound from one room to the next? Our daughter is autistic and he sleep patterns are awful! So she stays up all night playing on her computer, so we need to sleep a bit better , but her room is right next to ours. I know there are no heating/cooling benefits of bat insulation, and one person said in a forum can actually cause undo heat in in-wall electrical wiring?

Rick :

There is some small sound barrier benefit to fiber glass batts. The overheating wiring is nonsense. More effective it to double up on the wall board (2 layers). You can also install resilient strips (made for this purpose) to the face of the studs before you hang the wall board but they can be hard to find and doubling up on the wall board is fairly effective

Customer :

Ok, rick, thanks, apprexciate your help, can I leave this open for a day or so?

Rick :

This thread won't go away. You can come back to it anytime. I'll answer any related follow up questions even after you rate me.

Customer :

thanks

Rick :

You're welcome