Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I recently moved and was cleaning yesterday, and noticed a

I recently moved and was cleaning yesterday, and noticed a lot of dust and dirt on the air intake grill (I'm hoping I'm using the right language), so I thought the filter needed
to be changed, took the grill off, no filter, of course there were mounds of dust and dirt
inside. I am assuming I need a filter, but there is not a bracket, or anything to hold the filter in place.....how do I find a bracket, and should I call a a/c duct cleaner to get rid
of the dust.......thanks for your help.....
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

Is this on your furnace?

Customer:

no, the grate is in the wall, in the middle of the foyer

Rick :

On your heating system?

Customer:

No, I believe it's for the a/c, which is outside

Rick :

Ok, do you have a furnace too?

Customer:

yes I do.....in the basement.

Rick :

Then the filter should be at the furnace. It sounds like you're describing the return air grill

Rick :

It's not unusual for dust to accumulate there but it should be filtered out of the system when the air gets back to the furnace

Customer:

Sorry Rick, it is the air return grill (told you a little dumb)...

Rick :

Some return grills have a filter but this is not typical and usually only when accessing the furnace is difficult

Rick :

You may be able to have a return grill filter installed if you want but if there is a filter at the furnace (there should be) then it's not necessary

Customer:

What about the dust and dirt that's laying on the basement beams (

Rick :

I don't see how that's related.

Customer:

Sorry, it's probably not....

Rick :

Of course you can get your duct work cleaned if you like but it's usually not necessary if the furnace filters are changed regularly

Rick :

If you do decide to get your duct work cleaned be sure to get a firm price in writing before they start the job

Customer:

Oh....good, I'm going to check my furnace filters, and I'll write you back with any more questions...I will get a firm price.....Thanks Rick you have helped me before, I appreciate it.

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.