Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Hello, Can you please look at my diagram on http://www.wikiupload.com/T0JUXCJ71U8ZWGU

Can you please look at my diagram on http://www.wikiupload.com/T0JUXCJ71U8ZWGU

Hypothetically, say that the drywall (within the drywall paper) on my diagram has asbestos in it. When the popcorn texture/paint is applied to the drywall paper, would it absorb asbestos fibers into it?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

No the popcorn/texture would not absorb asbestos from the drywall. If the house was built after 1980 there is very little likelihood that there is any asbestos in the house. Asbestos was banned in 1978 and any products in the pipeline would have been used up by 1980.

Customer:

the house was built it 1978

Customer:

1977 or 78, the internet suggests that I have a hole drilled by a professional and a sample removed (professionally). Otherwise I risk exposing myself to possible asbestos.

Rick :

Like I said there is no danger of any asbestos that might be in the drywall bleeding into the popcorn. That's not to say that asbestos wasn't used in the popcorn. But asbestos in either was not a common practice. The only way to be sure is to send a sample to a lab for testing. There are many labs that will do this sort of testing through the mail for a reasonable fee.

Customer:

In 1977, or 87 asbestos was not in common practice in use in drywall?

Rick :

I am not aware of asbestos ever being used in wall board but that doesn't mean it wasn't. It was used in some but not all wallboard compound. Ceiling texture finishes are a crap shoot, there is no way to know without testing. That said the risk of exposure is pretty low if you plan on removing the texture since the removal method requires wetting the texture and scraping it off. Wet asbestos fibers don't wind up in the air. But if you're at all concerned about this then have a sample tested. It's not expensive

Rick :

Generally the cost for a sample test is $25 to $50

Rick :

Here is one of a number of such labs

http://www.asbestostesting.com/stepbystep.htm

Customer:

I just need an answer to the previous question at this point: "In 1977, or 1978, was asbestos in used in common practice, in the construction of drywall?" i am not referring to the popcorn texture, or ceiling paint. I am referring to the drywall

Rick :

No it wasn't common practice.

Customer:

so if the home was built brand-new in 1977 or 1978 they probably didn'

Customer:

t use asbestos containing drywall for the ceiling or walls

Customer:

you aren't liable for any answers...I'm just chatting, I want your opinion

Rick :

Probably not. By '77-"78 it was widely recognized that asbestos was a problem. It was never that common in any drywall products. Unlike acoustic ceiling tiles and vinyl flooring where it's use was common and it took a couple years after the ban for all the product to work its way through the supply chain.

Rick :

What is the cause of your concern?

Customer:

ah..okay..the reason I ask is I am thinking of scraping my popcorn ceiling and making the ceiling an acoustic, modern texture....I scraped off a little of the popcorn ceiling texture/paint and sent it off for analytical testing. It came back negative, but I did not scrap beneath the brown drywall paper, so I don't know if there is any in the actual drywall.

Rick :

You should be fine. There's no way any asbestos fibers can find there way through the wallboard paper anyway. There is a slim chance the wallboard joint compound might contain asbestos but if you wet the popcorn to remove it there's virtually no chance of any exposure even if there is asbestos in the joint compound (should you nick it). Worst case any potential exposure from removing popcorn texture that has no asbestos like you describe is so small it's not significant.

Rick :

If you ever walked into the basement of an old house with a steam heating system you were probably exposed to more asbestos than you'll ever see doing your celing

Customer:

what if I put a '"nick" in the drywall paper accidentally while scraping?

Rick :

same answer

Rick :

To put this in perspective

Rick :

We do A LOT of remodeling demolition. Nobody (health or building inspector)has ever displayed any concern over drywall debris of any vintage. Lead paint however is another matter.

Customer:

okay thanks!

Rick :

You're welcome!