Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
63990871

I have tilt in windows in my home and they do not have tilt

Customer Question

I have tilt in windows in my home and they do not have tilt latches. It is difficult but I can get the bottom sash to tilt in by putting outward pressure on the frame. I cannot get the top sash to clear the frame. I do not know the Brand or Model # XXXXX there are no labels or numbers on the windows. The house was built in 2004. The window does have a label saying to push outward on the frame to tilt the window.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please do not close my question as I do not have an answer.

Thank You, Ron

Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Gina-Moderator

Expert:  Dovetail Greene replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

My name's Kel.

Start by moving the bottom sash so it's centered it the opening.

With one hand push in on the jamb liner --

say -- start with the left one --

while pushing in, that is, away from the sash --

gently pull on the upper left corner of the sash.

It should by the inside guide track.

Then do the same thing on the right side.

Then come back to the left and repeat.

This time the corner of the sash should completely disengage the liner tracks and be loose. Do the other side and lower the sash so it's perpendicular to the opening.

It will pivot on pins that engage spring loaded brackets.

Twist the sash so one of the corners comes straight up.

Then do the other.

It should now be free.

Same procedure for the upper sash.

If the jamb liners are rigid and there's no play they're not tilt in sash.

Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dovetail Greene, I can do as you said and get the lower (inner) sash to tilt and remove, but the upper (outer) sash will not clear the frame. Is there a tool that will help spred the frame? These windows have probably never been tilted in before.

Craftsman makes a reversible bar clamp that would allow you to exert outward pressure on both jamb liners at the same time.

If you try this

GO SLOW.

These clamps could easily crack the frame.

Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow, I have done what your expert suggested I do. I don't have a problem with the charge but I really would like to have a valid suggestion if not answer. An expert should be able to tell me more than I can do as a person not very handy around the house. If you do not know just say so or tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I will not use you guys again.

Hello Ron.

If I haven't answered your question or a particular suggestion doesn't work --

let me know

and I'll come up with an alternate.

We keep working together until the problem is resolved.

You're not paying for any first answer.

Part of the unwritten deal is

you give me feedback til we're done.

Let's continue and get this done.

Yours,

Kel