Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Good Morning, We just had a marble staircase put in and I

Good Morning,
We just had a marble staircase put in and I find that most of the steps are CRACKED. These are not veins or natural color I see them as Cracks. How can I explain to the
installer/owner of the company that the marble is not acceptable. It is so noticeable.

Thank You,
Marilyn

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Just tell him you're sorry but you just can't accept marble that is cracked. You shouldn't feel bad about this since there is no reason a new installation should have cracks in it. Either the job was not done properly or the marble itself is the problem. Neither of these circumstances has anything to do with you. If the workmanship is not adequate it's the installers fault. If the marble is the problem then it's up to him to take that up with his supplier.

Customer:

Rick,

Customer:

I also have a problem with the sides of the staircase. They did not take off the side rails, so the side of the staircase

Customer:

looks unfinished. I think they should have taken off the iron banisters...

Customer:

What do you think?

Rick :

The appearance is something I can't judge from here. If you're not happy with the job hopefully you haven't made the final payment. Holding back payment is a wonderful motivator to get problems like this resolved

Customer:

THANK YOU SO MUCH....YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL.

Customer:

I HAVE NOT PAID HIM SO HOPEFULLY HE WILL FIX THE PROBLEM,

Customer:

BUT it is ALL of the steps, not just one or two. We shall see.

Customer:

Thank you again.

Rick :

You're welcome! You shouldn't pay him until this is resolved to your satisfaction

Customer:

I do not want to sign up for a plan, but I will write if I have any other questions on anything

Customer:

to do with our home.

Customer:

Great service

Rick :

Subscribing is up to you and I have nothing to do with that. I just answer questions.

Customer:

Oh, what is the correct way to tell the installer/owner that the cracks are not veins?

Rick :

Just tell him they look like cracks. If he gives you a hard time you may need to bring in another installer to back you up. But if what you're seeing didn't show up in his sample then you have every right to want it replaced. One sure way to prove a crack is to run your fingers over the crack. You will feel most (but not all) cracks

Rick :

There really is no correct way expect perhaps to be as diplomatic as possible at least at first

Rick :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

Thank you so very much, have a great day,

Customer:

Marilyn

Rick :

You too!