Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP model 41A4315-7D garage door opener

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP model 41A4315-7D garage door opener that just quit. It opened fine this a.m. but would not close seconds later. Now it won't respond to either of two remotes nor the simple hard wired single wall button. The light does come on though. And the green light next to the green button flashes five times, pauses off for a few seconds, then repeats the sequence. The safety sensors seem to operating properly. Thanks for any suggestions!
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

If the door is stuck open, verify that the trolley is not stuck on the bolt located near the motor unit. If it is, simply dislodge it from the bolt and reset limits to stop the trolley before it hits the bolt.

5 flashes means that either the motor has overheated/ stuck or the RPM sensor needs to be replaced. You would need to first, unplug the unit to reset and then plug back in. Then try to operate the opener and check for any flashing lights. If the unit still flashes 5 times and the motor unit moves 6-8 inches, replace the RPM sensor. If motor unit does not operate, the unit has overheated again. Wait 30 minutes and retry.

If it still doesn't operate then you will need to replace the logic board.....unfortunately it will cost around $70.00 (average price). Any clicking noise, in addition, typically means a bad logic board as well. If the opener is older than 10 years I would recommend spending that money towards a new opener. On the plus side, today's opener technology is better and safer.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know…
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Brian. There is no clicking noise at all, and no movement at all. Just the light bulb comes on, and the green light continues the five flash sequence non-stop. I tried to determine if the motor is stuck but could not definitively do so. Any further suggestions? Thanks.

Hi Andy. Based on the information you have provided, it sounds like the logic board is bad. The 5 flashes typically means a bad RPM sensor or a bad logic board. We have ruled out the RPM sensor.

However, I have seen in the past that a trolley being held, either by being lodged on the upper bolt or by worn gears that are binding, can set off the 5 flashes. Take the cover off the unit and verify that the plastic gears are not worn. If they are good then I would be pretty certain that the logic board is bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Gears are good. Guess new unit makes most sense if avg. price of logic board is about $70.

Yeah. Sorry for the bad news. Good luck with it Andy.

And just a side note....purchase a surge protector made for garage doors. It will help protect the sensitive logic board from future power surges/ fluctuations.

Have a great day!