Martin , Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

in trying to start up my MANTIS 4 cycle cultivator, the start

Customer Question

in trying to start up my MANTIS 4 cycle cultivator, the start cord went back into the housing. Now it won't let me pull it again. WHAT CAN i DO?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome. That sound like you broken the cord. I never worked on that particular model but most of the time you can unscrew a plate and have access to it. It may be behind a decorative casing. It should not be more different than on the honda lawnmower i do.

Measure the cord that was in it and add that to the length that stayed in your hand. You can then go at a hardware store with a part of the rope at a place doing mini mechanic and they will give you the right type.

Just ask me if you need any other details.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cord did not break. The pull handle is still connected to the cord but the cord will not pull from the housing.

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
hummm. If it was working just the pull before it can't be a piston problem. I assume the cable may have pinched somewhere. This is really the kind of thing that we can't escape doing a disassembly. If the spring is not tight enough it is possible for a cable to twist on itself and then can't pass in some hole or guide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not thrilled with getting involved with disassembly of this item. I'll have to take it to a qualified repair center.

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about that.

One time i was not available to help my mother about a similar issue. She got it to small repair shop (the smaller the better). They charged just 2$ and did not charge for the cable :) It really is not something complicated. You will not get a big $200 bill from that kind of problem if this is what you fear.

You are lucky to have such a still machine, my big troybilt is a pain to carry around.