Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

how manny watts would a sumerisible pump need to operate

Customer Question

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Is this a pump for a well? Do you know if it is 120V or 220V?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

220 single phase water pump for deep well

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you probably have a 1HP pump. 1HP equates to about 750 watts but you will need a lot more capacity - 5 to 6 times that. This is because when the pump starts, it draws 5-6 times the current.

Look at generators that are rated for 4500watts or greater.

Now, I am assuming 1HP because most well pumps are that size but you should probably check and size accordingly.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards

Steve

Steve G., Handyman
Experience: VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is a 10hp motor

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

10HP? That will pull 40A just running. Your generator would have to be huge to handle starting current.

Does the pump have a soft starter on it or do your lights dim when it kicks in?

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is 40 A and dont khow if it hass a soft starter would running the pump with regular current be expansive

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

40A is 40 amps. 40amps at 220V is 8,800 watts. Multiply by 5 for starting current and you have a 50KVA generator. That is major.

Are you 100% sure that this is a 10HP pump? Are you sure it is not 1.0HP?

Regards

Steve