Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a question about repairing a double pane sliding glass

I have a question about repairing a double pane sliding glass doors filled with gas to keep them from fogging. The lawn care company for my neighborhood accidentally broke the outer pane of one of my patio doors (rock from a lawn mower). The lawn care company manager is having a glass repair company contact me. I don't think this is something a glass repair company can fix, since it was a double pane door (with metal lattice work between the panes) filled with gas (most likely argon - can't remember) to prevent fogging. I have never had a problem with my patio door fogging and I fear that any glass company hired to simply replace the glass might not sufficiently repair my door. Can they repair a door which was once filled with a type of gas? Or will it require that the entire door is replaced. Advice?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

Local glass companies don't manufacture thermopane window panels. They order them from a manufacturer. The argon is there to improve thermal efficiency not to stop fogging. Fogging is caused when the seals between the 2 panes of glass fail. thermopane manufacturers routinely inject argon into thermopane panels

Rick :

So the glass company should be able to repair your door

Rick :

The only question I would have for them is can they get a panel made that has a similar looking metal grid between the panes of glass

Rick :

Probably not a big deal but worth the inquiry

Customer:

ok - thanks for the clarification - I guess I misunderstood the role of argon gas.

Customer:

what sort of question(s) should I ask to ensure they use the correct techniques to prevent fogging?

Rick :

All thermopane panels should come with a 5 ot 10 year warranty against seal failure. The sealing is done at the factory not by the glass company.

Rick :

sorry that's 5 OR 10 year warranty

Customer:

ah - ok cool - that should help me when talking to the glass guy later

Customer:

anything else you can think of that I should keep in mind?

Rick :

Just ask about matching the grid and I'd want to be sure the glass company has been around for a while so you have some confidence that they'll still be around if the warranty becomes an issue.

Rick :

This is a pretty routine repair for a glass company

Customer:

sounds good. thank you for your help! A+

Rick :

You're welcome!

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/