Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I bought a 1/2 hp garage door opener. serial #29423100740,

I bought a 1/2 hp garage door opener. serial #29423100740, model #139.53985DM.
My problem is that it blows the light bulbs. I install 60w bulbs, probably at least a dozen in the last two months. They are the regular incandescent. Can you tell me what the problem may be?
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

The filament may just be breaking from vibration. Try using appliance bulbs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try that, however if that does not solve the problem could it be something else?

If it is not the bulb itself, then it is faulty wiring to the bulb, from the logic board. It could also be a logic board going bad. Unfortunately a new board averages around $70. If the opener is older than 10 years, it makes more sense to put that money towards a new opener. But let's try the least expensive fixes first.
Hopefully an appliance bulb will do the trick. They have stonger filaments that can withstand vibration.