Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

The light on my Genie SD8000 screw drive wont

Customer Question

The light on my Genie SD8000 screw drive won't go off. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

The bulb is controlled by the logic board. Since you do not have the premium wall console which allows you to adjust the timing of the light, you either have a problem with your logic board or wall control circuit.

This is how you can find the problem:

Unfortunately you will need to get into the attic to disconnect the power to the motor unit. Then disconnect wall button control wires from the motor unit.

Reconnect the power only and the light should come on. Allow light to cycle off. If the light turns off after 5 minutes, the problem lies with either the wall button control or its wiring. If it stays on, skip to the last paragraph.

Disconnect power from motor unit. Remove wall button control from the wall and connect to motor unit with a short pair of temporary wires. Reconnect power only and the light should come on. Allow 5 minutes for the light to cycle off. If the light turns off, it's a wire issue. If not, the wall button control should be replaced.

If the light stays on during the first test and never cycles off, then the problem is likely the logic board and unfortunately they average around $70. If the opener is older than 10 years I recommend putting that money towards a new opener...it just makes more sense.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know…
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The darn thing started working on it's own before I could use your info. But I'll copy it down and try it if there's a 'next time'. Thanks!

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
That's odd...could be a loose wire to the light bulb. Good idea, just keep the thread above and have a great day!