Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
63990871

SMALL UNDERPINNING JOB IN BASEMENT: I am excavating 9" in my

SMALL UNDERPINNING JOB IN BASEMENT: I am excavating 9" in my basement to allow for greater height. I have been advised to NOT dig 30" around the perimeter of the basement so as not to disturb foundation. However, there are 2 small sections that I do want to excavate the 9" against the wall since I will be putting kitchen cabinets there and I don't the cabinets to be too high for people to work on normally. One other spot where there will be a bathtub cannot be on a ledge as it would be difficult for people to get in and out if they had to swing their legs over a bathtub that is raised 9" from the floor. Therefore, I would like to perform a minor underpinning job just in those small areas. Considering the perimeter of the basement is 1000 sq feet, and the cabinet section is 10' and the bathtub area is only 5-6'. I will perform the procedure as follows and simply looking for confirmation of the way I am doing it.

I will excavate the 10' section in 3 parts i.e. 3.3' at a time, and dig 1' deeper than where my new floor will be and fill that space with reinforced concrete. Sound right?

Good afternoon.

My name's Kel.

You strategy is a good one.

By keeping the exposed section to 3'-4" at a time you don't risk stressing the foundation.

Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was it.