Eric, Technician
Experience:  30 year experience with TV repair, about 15 on computers.
22241082

Sears Garage Door Opener 139.53645SRT2

Customer Question

I ordered 2 remotes for my Sears garage door opener. At first both worked, then only one and finally neither work now. The door does open from the remote button on the wall and light goes on when pressed. Should I hire sears service, other service vendor or best to buy new. The opener was purchased in 1996 and shows 1/2 horsepower.  What opener would you recommend for a very heavy door if needed. 

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Hi, welcome to JA,
Unplug the opener and reconnect it.
Please check/change the remote round battery if possible, then try reprogramming them ,
press the button on the opener momentarily just below the wires , then hold the large button on the remote until the light bulb blinks indicating it was programmed (do this once for each remote). You probably know how to do this but figured I should include this info in case you did it wrong.
If they won't program it could be a bad logic board (about $250 installed ), most likely the remotes are bad not the logic board.
Original remotes cost about $.30-$50 there are some new Visor models that work well
and are a little cheaper
I would recommend another craftsman opener if you decide to just replace the unit,, check the Sunday paper for a sale at Sears.
you can pay for installation at the store also I think its $100
basic GDO with no outside keypad cost $129-$149 With a wireless keypad about $249,
Sears service call costs $75 for just the estimate, its cheaper to replace a battery or one remote before calling a tech.
If you do get a new opener pay extra for a warranty that covers everything for a few years.
Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I will give this a try. Can you let me know how to program the electronic keypay if I get the remotes working

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
Key pad is similar, press the same button on the opener, then enter the code on the keypad and press enter: the lights should blink once, the keypad is now programmed.
If the lights don't blink try again press each # XXXXX and firmer.
If you have more questions please ask if not please accept and leave a feedback also
Appreciate you using Just Answer
Thanks