Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
63990871

Hi Home Smithy, I am hiring a siding contractor to put hardi

Hi Home Smithy,
I am hiring a siding contractor to put hardi plank on our 30 year home that has masonite on it now. The masonite is in poor condition in a lot of places. He recommended taking bad masonite boards off and looking to see if there is damage to plywood underneath but otherwise putting hardi over the masonite. I'm in Louisiana and concerned about previous damage to the plywood underneath possibly causing moisture to be trapped / termite damage? (FYI: we are under termite contract-all is well I'm told)...should I ask him to take all masonite off to inspect ply before installing hard?
Thanks so much!
Lisa

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Gina-Moderator

Hello Lisa,

My name's Kel.

Given that you're in Louisiana it's critical to thoroughly inspect the plywood sheathing and replace any rotted sections or sections contaminated with mold or infested with termites.

The Masonite will conceal areas that should be replaced and trap mold, rot and moisture.

It's a poor way to save money. Have all the Masonite removed.

Have all the old Masonite removed.

You might go to the Hardie website and review the warranty.

It's an excellent warranty, but the product needs to be installed correctly for Hardie to honor it.

Have I answered your questions?

Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer