Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

Hello,I am noticing the ground to be extremely hard under

I am noticing the ground to be extremely hard under my lawn in the yard. To the point where the soil is cracked. I have been watering it a fair bit this summer, as well we have gotten a lot of rain. I was thinking of aerating the lawn. Is there a better time to do this? Or special steps to take? I was thinking of renting an aerator from home depot and giving this a try. Some help would be appreciated. I have never used an aerator before.

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Gina-Moderator

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm still looking for an answer. No rush.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Gina-Moderator

Hi my name is Brian.

Normally aerating is carried out Spring or Autumn and if you fertilize at the same time it helps the fertilizer get down into the soil and prevents run of when it rains.

But if your soil is very compacted, anytime is good.

if you use a hand held hollow tine aerator or solid tine on a machine Just carry on until your bored.

if your using a hollow tine on a machine one pass should be enough.

I hope this helps you out a little.

Best regards

Brian

Brian, Plumber
Experience: 16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.