Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I now have new ceiling 12 x 12 tiles to install. The room is

I now have new ceiling 12 x 12 tiles to install. The room is already equiped with fir strips so theres no problem with the strips. The room is 9.4 inches wide by 17 ft long. In order to get the tiles started right do I start in the corner and work out from the length and width sides . How can I know they are starting straight, use a square? Would a laser line be good/
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

You start in the middle of the room. Strike a chalk line which should fall in the middle of the center firring strip start your first tile at the center of this line

Rick :

You could use a laser but these ceilings were installed for years before lasers came along.

Rick :

You then work your way out from the middle setting your tile along the chalk line

Customer:

Shoul it be the middle end or the middle center of the room

Rick :

Middle center. Start with your first tile corner on the mid point of the chalk line in the center firring strip. Then work out from there. It's best to finish your first course along the chalk line then move to the next course

Rick :

If you want to be really precise allow for the staple tab to overhang the line so it's the edge of the finished tile on the line

Customer:

OK Ill start at the middle if the room and do a line then do another, trouble is to get a straight firts line

Customer:

Leaving chatt

Rick :

That's why you snap a chalk line and follow that

Customer:

After measuring the fir strips I find they are 12 inches apart winding up with about a 5 inch last tile next to the long wall so its not possible to start in the millde with these existing fir strips due to their spacing . I am just going to have to start at the one wall and do a row down the 17 ft side as straight as it can be. Then do a second row untill I get to the 5 inch last row of tiles.Thats why I was so pickey about getting them straight starting out and maybe going by a laser light the entire 17 ft length

Customer:

Can Tile Bond work with polystyrene tiles?

Customer:

Do you feel staples would tear polystyrene easily. Otherwise I will use them ,

Customer:

please respond

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
You need to use staples. Tile bond is not going to set up fast enough. The weight of the ceiling tiles could take down the whole ceiling before the adhesive sets up.