AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement

My 300 transformer sticks on the red switch and will not turn

My 300 transformer sticks on the red switch and will not turn on the lights. HELP!!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  RichieMe replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

To clarify, this is the Asus Transformer, and it will not switch on.

Is this correct?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

It is an Intermatic model ML300rtwsn

Thanks,

Your question came to the wrong category.

I will move this to the correct category.

You do not need to do anything, an expert with be with you shortly.

Thank you
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Are you still checking

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 12 months ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Are you saying that the dial will rotate around keeping time, but when it hits the Red ON tripper, it stops and will not turn any further?

Or am I mis reading the information?

Thanks
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes-It stops and does nothing until it is reset manually and then does the same thing on repeat

The information definitely suggest the motor is failing, later it will not even rotate as it deteriorates.

The reason it stops, is the motor has just enough force to actually rotate and keep time (whether accurate or not) but when it approaches the tripper to set the contacts and transfer power, it does not have enough torque to overcome the resistance of the contacts.

This happens in all timers with clocking and triggering abilities eventually.

Some styles of timers have separable parts and replacements, but the ML300RTWSN is considered a disposable and when the motors fail, they have to be replaced with a new complete transformer assembly because there are no parts available to replace.

Know it is not what anyone wishes to hear, it is unfortunate how the manufacturers operate, but unless they provide equipment that has spare parts available, they consider them disposable only units.

You may not need such a large one, with knowing how many lights and their wattage on the transformer, we could determine the optimum transformer for use and possibly lower the replacement costs.

Can you provide the information on what you state"Reset it manually" represents?

Maybe rotate it by hand to trip the contacts?

Would be glad to determine a replacement if needed, or any other information, just reply.

Thanks

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for the reply.As you suggest maybe a smaller
one might work a nd be cheaper. I have 14 lights @ 20 amp bulbs..Maybe down grade both might wok? Adv.

I see you posted 20 amps, so I assume you have 20 watt bulbs, is that correct?

I do not see how many you have on the transformer?

To determine the proper transformer, you multiply the quantity by the wattage,

So if you have 5 at 20, thats 100 watts.
With the low voltage it is best to be a little over on the transformers for voltage stability, so I would suggest a 125 watt for 5 bulbs.

Now they have some special LED bulbs that retrofit many outdoor landscape lights also, and they use so little power, the 100 watt transformers power 10 bulbs.

The key is finding your bulb type, then search for the LED's that replace them.

So, if you can give me the quantity and if possible the bulb type, I might be able to find some good LED for them.

If nothing else, I know you can get a lower wattage standard bulb to cut down on the total needed.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Sorry--There are 14 lights. Been using Westinghouse 20 w XENON low voltage

Thanks

Ok, that puts you at 280 watts, and why you have the 300 watt transformer.

I assume you have the Bi-Pin bulbs LIKE THIS> CLICK HERE

You could go down to 10 watt each and a 200 watt transformer.
CLICK HERE for examples of the 10 watt.

The only LED bulbs in that style I find are still expensive at $7 each.

Technology is getting better though and pricing might be better in the future.

CLICK HERE for a 200 watt transformer. Only $50 compared to a $100 at 300 watts

150 watt transformer are not as available as the 200's for some reason, not sure why that is with manufacturers.

Could go as low as 5 watts and a 100 watt transformer.

I have not used the 5 watt bulbs personally, so I cannot attest to their output , if it is good enough or not.

Maybe get a couple and try?

CLICK HERE for 5 watt examples

AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience: 35 years home improvement