Marc
Marc, Handyman
Experience:  Plumbing, Heating, and home maintenance contractor

Hi, I want to install a dishwasher in cabinet space, for kitchen

Hi, I want to install a dishwasher in cabinet space, for kitchen that has never had a dishwasher. I am looking at a Kenmore which specifications given are-24 wide, 33.5 High and 24.87 deep. My questions for Kenmore installers, do the width allow for even a 1/4 inch space or are the numbers exact. Do I need to have over 24 inches of width space? My cabinet space is exactly 24 inches wide.

Also for the depth, my cabinet is exactly 24.5 inches deep, will the manufactures 24.87 dimensions allow any space?

Thank you
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Marc replied 11 months ago.

Marc : Hello and thank you for using our service. I will assist you today with your question to the best of my ability. DO NOT RATE SERVICE UNTIL COMPLETED
Marc : hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today with your question. I have over 26years experience in the plumbing field.
Marc : Because kitchen cabinets are standardized at 18,24,36,48" incriments it is possible to place a 24" dishwasher in a 24" space. There is room to play with.
Marc : So basically the 24" dishwasher will fit a 24" opening with a bit of room to spare.
Marc : The depth will also work for you if you do not have any electrical or plumbing behind the washer.
Customer:

Hi, I want to install a dishwasher in cabinet space, for kitchen that has never had a dishwasher. I am looking at a Kenmore which specifications given are-24 wide, 33.5 High and 24.87 deep. My questions for Kenmore installers, do the width allow for even a 1/4 inch space or are the numbers exact. Do I need to have over 24 inches of width space? My cabinet space is exactly 24 inches wide. Also for the depth, my cabinet is exactly 24.5 inches deep, will the manufactures 24.87 dimensions allow any space? Thank you

Optional Information: Brand: kenmore Type of Appliance: Dishwasher
Already Tried: research

Sent to Home Improvement Experts Today at 9:17

Marc : There is space under the washer for electrical and plumbing connections
Customer:

Hi,were you able to see my question?

Marc : Yes we're you able to see my responses?
Customer:

Hi again, once I remove the cabinet only drywall exist

Marc : Were not we're. Sorry auto spell check. :-/
Marc : Okay, again you will be able to fit the unit in without difficulty providing the opening is 24"
Marc : This is a standard opening
Customer:

So, for depth, does the door of dishwasher set flush with the face of the cabinets or is it supposed to protrude out?

Marc : Because kitchen cabinets are standardized at 18,24,36,48" incriments it is possible to place a 24" dishwasher in a 24" space. There is room to play with.10:22 AMSo basically the 24" dishwasher will fit a 24" opening with a bit of room to spare.10:23 AMThe depth will also work for you if you do not have any electrical or plumbing behind the washer.
Marc : It protrudes a bit. There is typically about a 1/2-1" of protrusion. Sometimes it is flush but not to worry if not. It's normal for it to stick out a bit.
Customer:

Ok, thanks I have been wrestling with this question, looking at many models for widths that are 23 and 7/8 or less, but you say if their dimensions n are 24 I can actually expect their dishwasher to be less than 24 inches?

Marc : Yes it includes a gasketed side piece that allows for fit within a 24" cabinet opening.
Marc : All dishwashers have the ability to fit in the normal 24" opening.
Customer:

Great, now is there components that I will need to buy that do not come with the dishwasher?

Marc : Just a dishwasher connection for the water supply. It is a 3/8" IPS (threaded) x 3/8" compression elbow and a. 36" stainless steel braided hose. This will connect from the dishwasher to a supply stop shutoff under the kitchen sink.
Marc : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lowes.com%2Fpd_3669 54-104-LD96-66_4294935907__%3FproductId%3D3579532%26Ntt%3Dhoses%26pl%3D1%26currentURL%3D%253FNtt%253Dhoses%26facetInfo%3D&ei=gX72UeehFpbb4APy0ICgAg&usg=AFQjCNESMaf3LQrolY_TJgLHQWHVU1YnwA
Marc : I stand corrected...this particular one says its 8' long.
Marc : This is the valve that it will connect to under the kitchen sink off from the hot water line.
Marc : http://www.nibco.com/Valves/Plumbing-Specialty-Valves/Supply-Stops/7140A-Supply-Stop-Valve-Straight-Compression-x-Compression/
Customer:

How about electric cord, I was told that this is not usually part of the dishwasher?

Marc : That is correct as the dishwasher is hard wired with 14/3 wire typically direct from the electrical panel however it can be wired to an outlet if there is one nearby within 6'.
Marc : No appliance should be run with an extension cord longer than 6' by code
Marc : Is there anything further I can do to assist you today?
Customer:

Ok, I think you answered all my questions. I was looking to buy an real expensive dishwasher only because it was less than 24 in wide. But I guess I can save some money if the 24 wide specs will fit my 24 inch cabinet opening. Thanks for your help.

Marc : Your very welcome and always glad to be of assistance. There is no need to purchase an overly expensive dishwasher to fit a standard 24" opening.
Marc : Good luck with your project, have a great day and please remember to rate my service to you.
Customer:

Thanks again, good bye

Marc : Okay good by and your welcome
Marc, Handyman
Experience: Plumbing, Heating, and home maintenance contractor