Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am looking into buying a modular house that has animal damage.

I am looking into buying a modular house that has animal damage. The carpet has to go, and the sheet rock walls have probably wicked animal urine up into them, and will have to be repaced. In addition, to an unknown extent the plumbing, and the electrical wires, have been pilfered.
It seems to me that the best thing is to replace the old ruined modular house with a new module. The foundation is sound, and the location is in an excellent neighborhood.
My friend says that HER friends can replace everything without replacing the entire modular house, and that her son should do a "walk though" of the property because he is a house inspector. Should I replace ther whole module or or pay my friend's friends to perform all of these services?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

You should definitely have the house inspected.

Rick :

Whether you repair or rebuild is a matter of cost

Rick :

You should get estimates for the new modular option and have your friends friend give you an estimate for the repair work in writing.

Rick :

Getting a referral from a friend is a good way to find a reliable contractor but you should treat them like you would any other business transaction.

Rick :

Also check to see if this friend's friend will do all the work himself. If so I wouldn't use him/her. It's very unlikely 1 person would be qualified and/or licensed to all of the work you mentioned. If they are licensed in all these trades then that would be a rare exception

Rick :

I have to leave for a bit. I'll respond to any more questions when I return (should be less than 1 hour).

Rick :

I'm back

Customer:

It's true that a jack of all trades is master on none. A good start will be to allow my friend's son to do a free walk through, and to then to pay for a second inspector, and learn if the two assessments of the property match.

Customer:

I don't know why my earlier post went in; I wanted to add that it might be best to drop the entire purchase. What do you think?

Rick :

That's a very personal decision and I don't know what your considerations are for this purchase. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is cost as far as which way to go if you decide to buy the place. So if you don't have any luck nailing down your costs to make this place livable then maybe you should forget about this one

Customer:

Yes, it will best to not bother with this house. My friends are too carried away and sound too delighted for my confidence to grow on their plans for how to spend my money.