Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I have a steel post embedded in a stump. The post was used

I have a steel post embedded in a stump. The post was used to secure the tree when it was planted about 40 years ago and the tree grew around it. Hurricane Sandy blew the tree over (a large white pine) last fall 2013. I have the stump cut to grade with the post protruding about 12 inches above grade. My questions: how can I remove the post from the stump? Is there a special tool I can rent or purchase to pry the post out of the stump?This needs to be accomplished prior to using a stump grinder.
Thank you. XXXXX Meyers
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi there happy to help.

Is this a T post? A typical fencing post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is a post typically used by farmers to hold up barb wire fencing.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
OK, great. Watch this video........

CLICK HERE

Forget the part about the ramps and four wheeler(unless you have one), but you need to drill a hole, attach a chain, and then find some method for the upward force. A handy man jack would work nicely.

Please don't forget to rate me and let me know
Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Expert in electrical & mechanical design, troubleshooting, and problem solving
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Being stuck in a pine that grew around it mean that a lot of resin must grip it. You may be able to use a 3 tons jack or ideally two 2 tons jack positioned each side to pull up (indeed doing a hole in it).

One way to remove some friction would be to use something to heat the metal post very hot (even old resin melt).

Another solution is to get a burning permit from the down and use fuel to burn it down. The post will just fall off.
Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.