AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement

I have a CHAMBERLIN LIFTMASTER PROFESSIONAL FORMULA 1 GARAGE

I have a CHAMBERLIN LIFTMASTER PROFESSIONAL FORMULA 1 GARAGE DOOR OPENER - My garage door opens from the wall control if I keep the button pushed in until the garage is completely opened. When the door is open the remote will not close it. When arriving from the exterior the remote will open the door. What's the problem?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Can you clarify the information?

You state having to hold the wall button to open the door but then the remotes not closing the door.

Does the wall button close the door?
Will the remotes open the door?

Can you verify that you have to hold the wall button to open the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wall button closes the door if I keep the button pressed until the door is closed.

The remote opens the door, but does not close it.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

The symptom you are describing is usually related to a failure in your
safety sensors (photo eyes).When the (photo eyes) or associated wiring are malfunctioning,
the door will often open as normal with the remotes,and wall buttons however,
will not close with the remotes or keypad and will only close by keeping
constant pressure on the wall button.

The safety sensors are located at the door with one on each side facing
each other. Each should have its own indicator light.
One amber and one green.
Amber is the sending unit and the green is the receiver.
So, if there is no green light, the sensor does not sense the area clear because of mis alignment, dirty lens, wires etc.

The safety sensors may be dirty. Wipe lenses with a damp cloth

They can easily become mis-aligned due to bumping,twisting and loose mounting and
can easily move when the door is moving along the track as it twists the rail slightly.
The safety sensors may be misaligned (This is the most common issue with
Garage Door openers). Make sure that all mounting brackets are tight.

Test.
Open garage door, then look at the safety sensors. If they both have lights on then continue.
Then take an object large enough to set between the 2 sensors, and see what
the sensors do.-One turns off?
The key here is to see a change.

If there is a change, then remove the object and see that the lights
are back to normal.
Once back to normal, press the button on the remote and WATCH the sensor eyes
for even a FAST blink which will activate reverse

It only takes a split second blink on the sensor eyes to activate the reversing mechanism.
Many times it takes 2 people to watch, one on each side in order to catch the blinking.

Just reply after verifying and testing, hopefully the problem is cured with one of the two and the wiring is ok.
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience: 35 years home improvement