Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

I bought a condo that has several ceiling lamps (embedded in

I bought a condo that has several ceiling lamps (embedded in the ceiling dry wall inside fixtures) using the Sylvania Halogen Capsylite Par 36 bulb, attached to dimmers. One of the bulbs has to be replaced. However, it is not clear to me how to remove it from the fixture and install the replacement. The bulb rests above the fixture, and there is no obvious manner in which the fixture can be opened (it appears to be rigid, i.e it does not turn). I cannot imagine that the fixtures were designed so that the only way to replace bulbs is to break open the dry wall of the ceiling, so am I missing something? Are there standardized fixtures for using this lamp as an indoor ceiling light? And if so, are there instructions available anywhere on how to replace a lamp in them? Thanks very much!

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Can you take a photo or two of the fixture? You can upload to www.imgur.com for free, no registration needed. Once you have done that, post the link here. OR you can email it to [email protected] marked for my attention (Steve555).

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I can! I will do it right now and email the photos to the address you have provided:[email protected]

Ok, I'll reply when they are forwarded to me. This normally takes an hour or two.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just sent three photos.

Ok, I'll reply when I receive them.

Thanks.

Ok, got them.

I cannot tell the brand of the downlight but try this.

The ribbed black reflector should pull down and out of the fixture. It should be held up by two springy metal 'hooks' that hold it up there.

So put your fingers on the white bezel, your thumbs on the black ribbed reflector and try to pull it down.

Please let me know if that works so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve