walkereng
walkereng , Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am wanting to build a florida room addition off the back

Customer Question

I am wanting to build a florida room addition off the back of my home. I have talked to a couple companies to complete the room and was originally thinking of having glass windows installed in the room. The size of the room I was wanting would extend out 18 foot from the back of my house and extend 22 foot wide. I was told by a friend of mine that was a contractor for 20 years and has since retired that glass would be better in the room as compared to acrylic windows. He said if you use acrylic windows, they allow heat in and it will cost a lot to air condition the room which I plan on doing. I talked to a gentlemen that sells the materials to build the room and he said that is not so. I would rather use acrylic windows as the permitting in my county is much easier and using glass windows their is some energy survey that makes it very expensive and more difficult to permit. I have looked at high end acrylic and it seems that they insulate the room better. Appreciate your input. thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  walkereng replied 3 years ago.
I can help

Let me read your question a bit closer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay

Expert:  walkereng replied 3 years ago.
I have talked to other experts on this subject and sun rooms have little to no insulation. Whether you use glass or acrylic is isn't going to make a lot of difference in your energy efficiency.

If you are providing insulation of any kind, then acrylic would be the best window material.
Expert:  walkereng replied 3 years ago.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions
Expert:  walkereng replied 3 years ago.