Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

We are househunting and one property we like has an existing

We are househunting and one property we like has an existing basement egress system (already excavated, solid door into basement, stairs up, and double "Kansas" style doors on top).

Since this area has already been excavated, can this be converted to a double sliding glass door at the bottom with no cover on top -- to let natural light into the room? Would a sump pump be needed?

is this a potential ballpark cost of $5K, $10K or higher than $10K?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

Yes, you could make this into what you describe. The need for a pump depends on the topography of the lot

Rick :

If the area can't be drained naturally or with a French drain you'll need a pump

Rick :

Cost depends on the site conditions

Customer:

Is this something a local handyman service would provide, or a major chain like Lowe's? (There is an existing french drain and sump pump in basement)

Rick :

Is the existing opening only big enough for a single door?

Rick :

This is a job for a general contractor not a handyman or a big box store

Customer:

Existing opening at bottom for single door right now so that would have to be expanded but stairwell and excavated area is wide enough for double door

Rick :

does the lot slope away from the house to a point lower than the basement floor?

Customer:

yes

Rick :

where is the house? what State?

Customer:

Northern Virginia.

Rick :

Ok, I'd say you're looking at around 10K depending on what type of stairs you plan to install and assuming the excavation walls are adequate the way they are now. This would mean that you would have to drain the bottom of this area into the basement sump pit. It sounds like conditions would permit a French drain which is a better option but hat could add several thousand to the cost of the project.

Customer:

Thanks Rick appreciate your help. Signing off now.