Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

One of my remotes for my garage door opener quit working.

Customer Question

One of my remotes for my garage door opener quit working. I replaced the battery, tried programing it and it didn't fix it. I bought a new remote, tried to program it, it won't program either.
My home link on my car works fine.
My keypad works fine.
my wired connection in the garage works fine.

I have a 139.53919 with battery back up. Bought it in 2007, replaced the battery back up pack in 2012.
Any ideas on why I can't program the new remote? 139.30498 or for that matter the older one I just replaced the battery in (yes I replaced the battery in kind although the original tested OK)
Ted, in Tampa
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Your original remote is probably defective and it sounds like you may not have purchased the correct new remote that is compatible with your opener. I am seeing 53753 as the remote for your opener, but verify this with your owners manual.

Verify that you are programming the new remote, correctly, per the owners manual.

There is one other thing we can try, if you haven't already. Erase all codes and then try programming just the original remote or the new remote. See if it works before programming the other items.

I'm having you try this because I have seen in the past where a defective remote interferes with the remaining remotes. The defective remote will not appear defective because it is programmable, but what happens is the defective remote reverts back to an older technology of sending signals and it confuses the motor unit which then blocks the other remotes from working. There is a slight chance this is your problem, so it is worth trying. Let me know if you can program either the original remote or the new remote, by itself, after starting from a clean slate.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply;

The remote I bought to replace the "original" is the only replacement available from Sears. I even checked with Sears Parts Direct, that's it. On the back of the package it states

"Look on the back of the power head mounted on your garage ceiling, if it has a GREEN, ORANGE, RED, YELLOW or PURPLE square 'smart button' this remote will be compatible with it."

Mine is ORANGE. So it should be compatible.

I went to Parts Direct and could not find 53753 either a model or a part number.

As I stated before;

My Home Link in my car works fine.

My mounted wireless remote outside the garage works fine.

My wired remote in the garage works fine.

one thing I may have forgotten to add is that my daughters visor mounted wireless remote works fine. The only one that quit working is my wifes visor mounted remote (the older one I replaced with the 9-30498).

I have removed the battery from the older (possibly defective) one to preclude any interference and tried to program the replacement remote (9-30498) still nothing. I have hesitated resetting the unit as I wonder if the remotes that operate will stop working and I won't be able to reprogram them.

If you believe I should reset it I will give it a try.

right now I'm starting to think it may be a problem with the main board. If that's the case I will probably get a new unit.

Thank you for your suggestions, I hope the additional information is helpful is getting to a solution and I look forward to any further advice you may have.

Ted

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ted,

You have done a lot of the "process of elimination" which is good; it helps to narrow the problem down. Since you have remotes that work, such as the visor (handheld clip on), then it is safe to say that the opener is recognizing the signal. I am really thinking the new remote you have is not compatible, eventhough you were told that. I have seen that happen in the past.

Is your opener a 139.53919? or does it have a D at the end? This will help me verify if the remote is indeed compatible.

I know that you would rather not erase all codes, but it really is the next step in the "process of elimination." We need to see if you can get one of the remotes that won't program to program by itself. And if you cannot get anything to program, then it indeed is the logic board, as you suspected. Logic boards average around $70 so if the opener is older than 10 years, I recommend putting that money towards a new opener.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Brian;

Yes the opener is 139.53919 (no D)
Serial # XXXXX
manufacture date 08/04

The original remote is a 139.53681B (no longer available)
replacement remote is a 139.30498 (the one I bought)

There are no other remotes available that I see. Other than the one I bought. If you show a different part number and availability, please let me know. Right now I don't see any other ones available.

I have to leave for a few hours, but will try resetting the unit upon return.

So far I have about $45 for the new remote and $17 for this assist. Much more and I will probably go with a new unit.

I'm going to Sears to get a new Range Hood Microwave Oven that I know is not cost effective to repair (door plastic is broken apart).

I appreciate your assistance and look forward to your next message. If you can't get back to me today, I understand. We will resolve this dilemma I'm sure.

Thanks again

Ted

Tampa, FL

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Ted,

This is the site I trust....Searspartsdirect. It is saying the remote should be 41A5076-2. Here is a link to the site....click here. It is part #2 and cost $27.54. See if you can get this one and try programming it.

Try to return the other one if you can. You can get this remote before you erase all codes if you want. Let me know what you find. And take your time, if you need to. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've ordered the part. Should I maintain the tech assist case open until the part comes on the 23rd? I suspect once I close it out I can't let you know if it worked.

I didn't find the remote because I had entered the number off the remote I have that USE TO WORK. I didn't think of going to the garage door opener assembly itself. Good job.

Thanks

Ted

Tampa, FL

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ted....sounds good. Hopefully it will program ok; I don't see any reason why it won't. You can rate my answer now or later...it is up to you....either way you should be able to reply to this conversation. Thanks and good luck with it.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian;

The part I ordered from Sears Parts Direct just arrived. Unfortunately, it is the housing only with no electronics inside. I thought it might be that from the description, but you never know.

on diagram

Remote house

PART NUMBER: 41A5076-2

$27.54

In stock

Thanks for all the help, I don't see any where to go from here, I did rate you excellent and still believe you deserve that. I guess in order to get a remote for my wifes car I will have to get a whole new opener or have homelink put in the car. My car has it and works fine.

Ted

Tampa, FL

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Ted,

I'm really sorry about that. I just looked back at the site and you are correct....it is the housing only. I didn't even notice at the time and it is the stupidest thing I have ever seen to just offer the housing....never seen that before.

I did some further research and the Liftmaster 970LM is a compatible replacement for the 139.53681, which is the remote stated in the owners manual .

Click here for a link to another trusted website that offers the 970LM. I would give this a try since it is still the least expensive option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Brian;

I am going to see if they have a visor mount model. My wife has an aversion to the keychain model.

Ted

Tampa, FL

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
ok ....good luck with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the part in today from AAARemotes. I ended up calling them and the 970LM (although it shows on their site) is no longer made. I told the person I spoke to I really wanted a visor mounted one anyway and she recommended the Lift-Master 971LM single button unit. It arrived and took longer to drag out the stepladder to press the learn button than it did to program it. All is well in Tampa again. Thanks for all your assistance. I will recommend you in the future, should the need arise.

Thank you, Brian

Ted

Tampa FL

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Wow Ted...I can't believe all the problems you are having getting a replacement remote and your opener isn't even that old. Well at least we finally found the problem and all is good. Thanks for the update and have a great weekend!