Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
63990871

I will have a new cement floor in my basement that begins appx

I will have a new cement floor in my basement that begins appx 10" away from the bottom of the basement wall because I have dug deeper into the basement and I have left the footing intact. I have been advised it is unwise to break that up. So there is the basement wall. At the bottom of it there is a 10" footing. Then a drop of 5" where I intend to lay the new cement floor. Aesthetically speaking, what is the best way to frame and create the walls that I will be building? My thinking is that I should build the framing on top of the footing and install cabinets around the perimeter of the basement so that level down will never be noticed and I could still take advantage of the space. Is this a good way to go about it? Also, you told me NOT to place cement on top of the gravel of my french drain, and to place my flooring (tile) directly on top of the gravel, correct?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dovetail Greene replied 1 year ago.

Good evening.

My name's Kel.

You are correct.

Do not place concrete directly on top of the French drain gravel.

Make sure it's tamped.

Then put some 6 mil poly over it then pour your concrete.

Your idea of using the cabinets to disguise the drop's a good one.

Here's my concern. Are you planning to have them step over the footing?

The footing is quite irregular in terms of height and projection.

Fitting the cabinet around will be quite tedious.

I'm guessing the result will look weak.

Why not just frame the walls on the new floor

almost touching the footing?

You'll lose some area -- in a single family detached -- about 40 square feet.

Enough for a closet

but you're space will be much more appealing

and it'll be easier to build than fitting cabinets.

If you want to have a smaller foot print -- that is -- not lose so much space -- you could frame the perimeter walls in light steel. Could use 1 1/4" or 2 1/4 studs. . .

What do you think?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kel,

Are you saying that I should place concrete on top of my french drain. However, not on top of the gravel but on top of a 6 mil poly that will be on top of the gravel?

"

Fitting the cabinet around will be quite tedious."

Who would step over the footing? The closets (cabinets) would be floor to ceiling. If the footing juts out 10" and has a height of 5" of my new floor, and I build a closet around the perimeter of my basement that is 24" deep, no one will ever know there is a step up unless they look into the closet and at the bottom back wall of the closet they would notice it steps up 5." It could always be used to place shoes or misc items. I would box it all the same around the entire perimeter. Does that make sense and is it not reasonable?

Hello again.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

I'm thinking you have a perimeter drain with a drainage pipe buried in gravel. The concrete basement floor will extend over that -- yes?

So typically the gravel for the drain would be three inches blow the existing concrete floor. 6 mil poly's placed over the gravel so the concrete doesn't flow into the gravel and begin to block the drain.

Does that make sense?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your strategy.

So you're going to build a kind of closet around the entire perimeter and then install floor to ceiling cabinet.

Yes it's a good strategy.

To develop it a bit --

perhaps do the closet then build some simple shelves then use a face frame with doors to cover the shelves rather than cabinets.

Any cabinet supplier can supply just face frames and doors.

How does that sound?

Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. Thanks

Hello Eric. This's Kel checking in to see how your basement project's going . .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for checking in. I am still far behind even the framing as I am laying out all the plumbing before I place the new cement floor. I am also moving one main sewer line and re positioning a hot water tank.

Good morning Eric,

Sounds like you're making good progress.

Hope all goes well.

Yours,

Kel

Dovetail Greene, General Contractor