Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have paint and plaster peeling on the outside and inside

I have paint and plaster peeling on the outside and inside walls of my home that is only 2 years old. I was told that damp course was used when laying the foundation and the slab. It looks like damp on the walls but i cannot understand how it happens to the inside walls. I have been told that i need to dig a drain of sorts in the erf next to me so as to direct the rain water and should there be any underground water away from my building. My home is built on a slope to the West and the home to the east of me is on higher ground. Please give me some advice on how to solve this issue before my wife divorses me.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

It sounds like you would benefit from a french drain around the perimeter of your house. To make a french drain you would dig a trench about 3' away from the house and about 2' deep then lay crushed stone in the bottom of the trench about 6" deep

Rick :

next lay 4" perforated pipe (with the holes on both sides at the horizontal median) starting at the highest point slope this pipe at ~1/4" to 1/2" per foot towards the down slope

Rick :

next cover the pipe with landscape fabric then 6" of crushed stone then another layer of fabric then dirt excavated from the trench on top. Throw some of the extra dirt in the space between the house and the trench so the ground is loped away from the house. You'll need to compact this soil so it doesn't settle with the next rain.

Customer:

Thank you for this. it has been mentioned before. What do i do about the state of the walls after we have built the drain?

Customer:

How do i repair them?

Rick :

Once the source of the moisture is gone the walls should dry out on their own. Then you can scrape off the peeling paint and plaster, then re-paint and re-plaster

Customer:

Will a general plumber be able to do this for me? can you recommend someone. I live in Centurion SA.

Rick :

This is more a job for an excavating contractor even many landscapers would be able to handle this. I'm sorry I'm not allowed to make referrals.

Customer:

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Rick :

You're welcome!

Rick :

Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.