The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Hello, I have a question regarding soundproofing my apartment.

Hello, I have a question regarding soundproofing my apartment. I live in a 4th floor apartment, and I'm trying to block out noise from the neighbors I share a bedroom wall with, and from the window that is directly above one of the entrances to the building. This building rules say that I can't put much more than nails in the drywall in the way of modifications. Any suggestions for how I can sound proof the window and wall? Thanks.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

What you need to do is stop the drum effect. This is where the drywall attached to the studs acts like a drum to transfer the sound to your apartment from theirs.

If you can break that connection the sound will be reduced 80%.

Dan please see the last post. I was editing it when you viewed it (i think??)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess I should have been more specific. There is a layer of cinderblock between my neighbor's drywall and mine, and no studs or anything to separate the cinderblock from the drywall. Because I live in an apartment, I can't remove drywall or anything permanent like that. Also, what about soundproofing the window without making any permanent modifications? I don't need perfect 100% soundproof, just something that will block *most* sound.

This should work for you.

graphic

As for the window applying some window tint helps to eliminate a lot of the sound transmitted by the glass.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Dan, just for information. The cinder block, if hollow (ungrouted), will do the same thing as if there were studs there. The center of the cinder blocks acts like a resonance chamber and can even amplify certain frequencies. Base, and low tones especially.
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience