The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

haveWhy do we have to keep replacing our septic pump?

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

What you need to do is have the company that is replaceing the pump tear down the old pump and determine what failed. Without knowing what part of the pumps are causing them to fail there really isnt anything more that I can tell you.

If it is electrical failure then have an electrician test the voltage and cycles per second of the power going to the pump. Also make sure that the wires going to it are sufficient to carry the required amperage.

A motor that is under powered will fail in short order.

Other than that there may be something that is eating up the seals of the pumps and the bearings are going out. In that case you would have to evaluate what is going into the system that could cause that to happen.

As I mentioned the first thing you need to know is what part of the pump is failing and then go from there.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My father-in-law is a master electrician and is the one doing the work. He doesn't know why the pumps keep burning up. I don't know what to do now.
Jill is it the actual motor (electrical part) that is burning up or the pump mechanism?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The current pump now isn't drawing any current .....the Zoeller that's in there now. But, the septic company hasn't come out to pump the sewage so that we can get to the pump to pull it out. Something about a motor being "locked up", float switches had to be replaced also.....my father-in-law is under a house right now so he's not available.

Jill, a locked up pump can be either one. Electrical or mechanical. If the pump locked up and the motor kept trying to drive it it can ruin the electric motor. Not drawing any amps is an open circuit. Could be the fuse/breaker is blown or just a burnt up motor.

Pretty much we are back to needing to know exactly what failed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband is saying that his dad tested the floats the last time around and they were bad....kept turning the pump on and off and burned the thing up. So, the floats were also replaced. This time he says that the pump is not turning (or turning super-slow) and that there may have been some thermal thing that, for safety reasons, turned it off. But, wont know until it's pulled out. So, basically until my father in law is in touch I don't have much more than that in terms of what was wrong with the other pumps....just that they burned up. Are u gonna be around all night? We are really trying to gain some helpful info and I promise you I will leave positive feedback.

It sounds like somthing may have got ino the pump and partially jammed it, or if it is a 3 phase motor it may have lost a leg (1/2 of is power). Either condition will trip out the thermal protection to keep the motor from burning itself up.

I had a lil accidnt the other day and am pretty sore. It is hard to sit in my office chair for very long. Im heading back to bed now but I will check in with you every hour or so.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your attentiveness and patience. So, my father in law said that one time the impeller was seized and wouldn't turn but it wasn't determined why (chalked it up to a cheap-grade $300-400 pump that came with the house). The other time there was a block in the line(pump was found working), and then another time the floats burned out the pump. Now this is going to be pump #4 to be ordered to replace whatever issue is underneath the ground now. Literally nobody else in the neighborhood has had this problem. But, we had a different builder, too. Not sure if that can be the problem.

Pump #1

The cheap pump... well not much you can do about that. Pumps sieze for reasons that God alone knows. A little sand in the wrong place and there ya go. Siezed pump.

Pump #2

If the pump was found working why was it replaced?

Pump #3

Bad floats will over work a pump and cause it to fail prematurley. I would venture to say that this was happening for quite a while before the pump finally gave out. It does take a while for this to happen. Unfortunately without a monitoring system to aleart you to this the pump is going to go.

This pump

To be determined.

Is sounds to me like you are just having some bad luck is all. Replace the floats along with the pump and you should be good to go for quite a while.

Any time you have to pull the pump because of a pump system failure you should replace everything in the "hole". It is just a good idea to do this as you dont know if the burnt out pump may have affected the floats or what.

The installing contractor isnt responsible for the pump failures. It just happens sometimes is all.

Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**