Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Our driveway has an area in need of repair with a patch. Is

Our driveway has an area in need of repair with a patch. Is there any patching product that is grey in color (as opposed to black) available as I don't want a big black area in the driveway that will be an eyesore. The driveway is faded due to age. Or is there anything I can due to the available black products so it becomes lighter in color?

Thanks!

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

You can lighten up the newly patched spot by spreading Sakrete or Quikrete mortar mix over the area then sweep to cover as much or as little as you want

Rick :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

Will the same thing work for the black caulk gook? I had originally thought of putting sand, small pebbles etc after I applied the stuff but was concerned that it may not dry properly and that we may track it into our cars or home. We think alike! Thank you for your advice.

Rick :

If you mean the gap filler then yes it will help lighten it up but I'd let it set up a bit. If you spread it while the filler is still wet then the filler will wind up the color of the mortar mix.

Customer:

That makes sense. I'm an artist of sorts...good with color mixing etc...and extremely particular. We have a huge driveway and I don't want to make a two weekend project out of it. Nor do I want to pay someone to seal it afterwards. Thanks again!

Rick :

You're welcome!

Rick :

One more thing. If you find that the mortar mixes mentioned don't give you the color you want then you can try straight Portland cement mixed half & half with sand. There are a number of shades of grey in unmixed cement. You don't want to use straight cement since it will tend to completely coat the surface. You'll have to go to a masonry supply for it. One other thing you can do is mix some ground up charcoal into the mortar mix to darken it.

Customer:

Excellent! Thanks again!