Jeremy
Jeremy, General Contractor
Experience:  Ten years experience actively managing residential remodeling projects. Certified Remodeler.
45363697

Im currently building and outdoor kitchen.

Customer Question

I'm currently building and outdoor kitchen. I have framed a free standing island bar and a kitchen counter affixed to the outside of the house. I am now going to cover the outside of each unit with interlocking stacking slate in order to avoid grout lines. Once slate is complete on both units I will affix the 8 foot granite counter tops to complete project. Does this sound out of sequence to you?. My contractor friend says I should wait until the granite tops are installed and then install the interlocking slate but this doesn't make sense to me. Why would I install counter top and then have to work under it while affixing slate, wouldn't it be better to affix slate then set granite top down to complete project? What am I missing??

Let me know if this question needs further clarification.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be here to help answer your question.

You have a good question, and I understand that installing the granite first seems counter-intuitive, but I would tend to agree with your contractor friend. There are a few reasons to install granite first:

1. Granite is heavy. It will push down on the wall you have built ever so slightly. You want the wall and framing to settle first before you add a finished product to it, in this case tight-joint slate tiles.

2. If one of your tiles sits slightly higher than the framing, the granite would end up resting on the tile and not the framing, likely causing it to crack and/or pop off.

3. Might not be as important, but the granite would then give you a straight line to measure your cuts for the slate.

Building is not always a bottom to top process.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Jeremy

Jeremy, General Contractor
Experience: Ten years experience actively managing residential remodeling projects. Certified Remodeler.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Holy cow that makes perfect sense. Didn't consider the weight issue. Explains why I'm not a contractor ...
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Kudos to you for asking the question! Hope it goes well and you get much use out of the outdoor kitchen this summer!

Jeremy, General Contractor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you !!. This project has shortened my life so I plan to spend the time I have left having a beer at my new outdoor bar !!

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
David-

How is your outdoor kitchen coming? Any further questions as you go through the process? Did you get the granite or the slate installed?

I'm here to help!

Jeremy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jeremy,

All is good. I did have The granite installed and I am almost finished rocking both units. Putting granite on first was right call.

Thank you !!

Dave

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Awesome. Happy to help.